Meeting Sundays @ 11AM at the club called Church 69 Kilmarnock Street Boston MA

Friday, May 21, 2010

A Bouncer & a Tattooed Foot (Part 4 of 4)

So, God is definitely moving.  After a couple weeks of going out where it didn't really seem like we were making much of an impact (see last couple entries, I even skipped a week because I was tired), things started picking up.  I thought the following story wouldn't be topped for a while, but God totally broke out last night totally directing us multiple times and ending in a guy getting saved on the spot and instantly being made sober even though moments before he had been in a very different state!  Check out Jeremy's note for the full story here on facebook: "God's Power in Front of Staples."  It's important to note that we had a very powerful time of prayer that morning.  I really believe that the 6AM morning prayer (Tues. - Thurs.) is the fuel for the Thursday night outreaches.  I definitely want to encourage people to come to both.

Two weeks ago, Jeremy and I headed out again, but first we met at his studio apartment in Kenmore Square to pray.  We specifically asked God to show us where to go or who to talk to.  God gave me a picture of different people out in front of their apartments on particular block.

Responding to the leading of the Holy Spirit, Jeremy and I went to the block and walked down it.  Only, one person was on the block a bouncer who was about twice my sized in front a basement bar.  Since, he was the only person out despite our intimidation and the fact that he was on the job we decided to talk to him.  We asked God what to tell him, and I felt God wanted me to tell him about his love.  It felt pretty awkward to go up to a big, strong guy whose job it is to keep kick people out and tell him God loved him!

At first, he was pretty skeptical of us but after talking for a while it became apparent that he was open to spiritual things.  I gave him a copy of the gospel of John, and he told Jeremy he would read it.

We headed down another block, and passed a college aged girl who was sitting out on her front steps.  We usually don't approach girls during the night outreaches since we are guys, but I felt the Holy Spirit prompting to go back and offer to pray for her.  We did, and she shared that today was 9 months since her 16-year old sister had died in a car wreck; she had a beautiful tattoo with her sisters name on her foot - it was a really sad story.  We talked to her awhile and found out she had hardly any experience church and hadn't heard much about who Jesus is, but she was really open to spiritual community and prayer.  As we were about to start praying for her, her friend walked up.  Surprising me, she totally welcomed her friend to join in with us.  We were able to pray with them right in front of her apartment building as people walked by, and she was totally encouraged.

As we left, I felt the Holy Spirit tell me to go back and give her my contact card.  To my surprise (I probably shouldn't have been - God can do anything right?), she emailed me two days later; and she and her friend came to visit our community group that week.  It was amazing.

God is going to keep revealing Jesus to people on the streets even setting them free immediately from the things that keep them from knowing him.  Come see for yourself some time!

Contact me: dwhill@fenwaychurch.org

Read how it all got started: "Jesus, the Streets & Mayor Menino"

No comments:

Post a Comment