Meeting Sundays @ 11AM at the club called Church 69 Kilmarnock Street Boston MA

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Night on Lansdowne Street (2 of 4)

It started in the Fenway Panera Bread talking, praying, asking God to lead us to spiritually hungry and thirsty people.

Jeremy and I headed out around 9pm stopping to talk to a guy who had just gotten off work; we talked for a few moments about Jesus before his bus arrived. He told us to stop by again tomorrow he'd be at the same stop, same time.

I couldn't shake a desire to go to Lansdowne Street across from Fenway Park which is filled with night clubs, bars, and the House of Blues. We walked down the street slowly asking God to move there. We stopped to talk to a couple people, but they weren't interested in talking. As we headed back up the street, we passed a group professionals who we had early seen chatting loudly in front of the House of Blues. Jeremy wanted to go talk to them. I really didn't want to; they seem pretty engaged in their conversation and at least one of them seemed pretty drunk. I doubted they would want to talk. Jeremy headed over, and I tried to remind myself that Jesus was accused of being a drunkard because he hung out with some many of them!

Much to my surprise, Jeremy was able to get into a conversation with them by simply asking if they were willing to talk about spirituality. I got into a conversation with the drunk guy who had grown up in Catholic church but had a real problem with how it was responding to various crisis's it was facing. He even gave me his business card.

They headed back into their fund raising party, and we headed to Kenmore Square asking God that one day crowds would gather there to hear Jesus being proclaimed.

I called the man's number on the business card a couple days later; he had given me his friend's card :) I laughed. I stopped by the bus stop a few days later; the man wasn't there but a teenager who didn't know much about the story of Jesus was. Talked to him for a few minutes, encouraged him to read the gospels, and prayed with him that he would get into college.

You never know what people are thinking on the street. They could be messing with you like that drunk guy, they could be seriously searching, they could just need to be awakened to a fresh reality. We sow seeds. God causes them to grow...

Tomorrow: "His Fingers Froze Off (Sowing in Tears)"

No comments:

Post a Comment